The RPI takes part in the project associated with large-scale assessment of the radiation situation in more than 2,200 towns that were home to more than 3.5 million people. This task was complicated by a variety of environmental and social conditions. As a result, numerous measurements of cesium and strontium radionuclides in the body of citizens of Ukraine were made, and a set of eco-dosimetric models developed. Appropriate measures for radiation protection of the population and rehabilitation of the territories of Ukraine were carried out. There was developed and implemented a system of thyroid dose reconstruction of the entire population of Ukraine.
During the last 15 years, the RPI has been providing the occupational safety and internal dosimetry services for the international project on the erection of the Chornobyl’s New Safe Confinement (NSC). The RPI’s team implemented an unprecedented large-scale program of individual monitoring of internal exposure, which is focused on the intake of transuranic elements and covers more than 17,000 workers.
The main organizations with which RPI collaborated in the sphere of dosimetry, radiation safety and health risk assessment are:
- Ministry of Health of Ukraine (MoHU);
- Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources of Ukraine;
- State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine (SNRIU);
- State Agency of Ukraine on Exclusion Zone Management;
- National Commission for Radiation Protection of Ukraine (NCRPU);
- State Service of Ukraine for Food Safety and Consumer Protection;
- State Emergency Service of Ukraine;
- State Enterprise “National Nuclear Energy Generating Company “Energoatom” (NNEGC “Energoatom”) and its separated entities:
- State Specialized Enterprise “Chornobyl NPP” (ChNPP);
- State Enterprise “Eastern Mining and Processing Complex” (EMPC) including the uranium mines and the hydrometallurgical plant;
- State Specialized Enterprise “Central Enterprise on Radioactive Waste Management”;
- Ukrainian State Corporation “Radon”;
Health and Research Institutions
- National Research Center for Radiation Medicine of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine;
- P. Komisarenko Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine;
- National Cancer Registry of Ukraine;
- Institute for Nuclear Research of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine;
- Institute for Safety Problems of NNP of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine;
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine.